Friday, September 28, 2012

Leaves Are Falling

So, this area of the country still doesn't really feel like "home", but it's just absolutely gorgeous up here. Trees are just beginning to turn and our neighbor's tree is dropping little orange leaves onto our yard this morning. Most everything else is still green and the temps are amazing (70s). It's pretty humid though. I've been learning more about this area and one thing I've learned is that the Capitol is literally a swamp. The Capitol building used to sit on the edge of the Potomac, and they filled it in with dirt to make DC. Crazy. No wonder there are so many mosquitoes here!

Anyway, the fall-ish weather motivated me to try some cooler weather recipes:
Up next on the agenda:
Looking for:
  • Baking recipes that call for pumpkin! Leave a comment if you have a good one!
More randomness:

I guess the morning-after a rainy evening combined with severe lack of sleep due to a toddler who is getting at least two molars (still waiting for them to erupt!) combined with singing the first hymn (Abide With Me) in our homemade hymnbook (that's in alphabetical order...I was too tired to even turn pages this morning, apparently) has got me in a mellow mood. But I'm loving the reminder that truly man's only lasting hope in this life is in God and in Christ, and I love how the final verse reorders my heart to look to heaven in anticipation of being with Christ.

Abide with me fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens, Lord, with me abide
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day
Earth's joys grow dim, its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

I need Thy presence ev'ry passing hour;
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter's pow'r?
Who like Thyself my guide and stay can be?
Thro' cloud and sunshine, O abide with me!

I fear no foe with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness;
Where is death's sting? Where grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

Reveal Thyself before my closing eyes
Shine thro' the gloom and point me to the skies;
Heav'n's morning breaks and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

-Henry Lyte 

Update: The Crock Pot Italian Cream Cheese Chicken was really good! It is very, very rich. I almost couldn't finish my portion it was so rich! My husband said this one's going "in the rotation", though sparingly, as its richness makes it an indulgent dinner. Perfect for a nice Italian themed dinner night with your hubby or with company over. 

2 comments:

  1. I made pumpkin banana bread a few weeks ago. There are lots of recipes. Also, if you do a search, you can find ways of using pumpkin puree to sub for almost everything else in a chocolate cake mix. Fresh pumpkin works, too; did it last week. Not sure mixes are up your alley, but still, its inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to try five times to publish the comment above.

    ReplyDelete