Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Grace Upon Grace

On Sunday our pastor Mark, in preaching through John 1, charged the church body to spend time reflecting on the ways we have seen God's grace become evident in our lives. This would really serve not to extol ourselves for any kind of supposed good works but really magnify what God has done  and in response, in thankfulness, to praise Him for it. My husband and I were able to take some time last night and reflect on God's grace to us this past year. Some of the things we thought of were weighty, like how God has lifted our minds more often to spiritual things as we've been through more trial this year than in past years. He's enabled us to long for the day Christ will return and we will dwell with Him. Some of the things were more lighthearted, like being thankful for a blender (see previous post). It was a good time of reflection and proved to be a kind of rest for our souls.

On the theme of rest and specifically, that heavenly rest that all believers one day will enjoy with Christ, I leave you with another hymn that's new to me, but that I'm loving right now: Hark, I Hear the Harps Eternal.

Hark! I hear the harps eternal
Ringing on the farther shore,
As I near those swollen waters
With their deep and solemn roar.

And my soul, though stained with sorrow
Fading as the light of day,
Passes swiftly o'er those waters
To that city far away.

Some have crossed before us safely
To that land of perfect rest;
Can you hear them singing faintly
In the mansions of the blest?

Mighty Jesus, bear us over
There to kneel before Thy throne;
May we join Thy saints forever,
Praising Thee, and Thee alone.

Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Hallelujah, praise the Lamb!
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Glory to the Great I AM!

I'm linking up with the Heavenly Homemakers series, Gratituesday. Feel free to join in the fun by leaving a comment about how God is working in your life! If you want to officially join in the fun, blog about it and link up with the Heavenly Homemaker at the link below.

Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

No comments:

Post a Comment