Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mystery Illness - Solved!

I mentioned in a previous post or two about being sick. It started in early April right as everything began blooming around here. At first I thought it was a sinus virus, then I thought it was seasonal allergies, then after a lot of second guessing, we figured out that my allergy to mold was the culprit. Something similar happened twice in college, so we finally pieced it together. The worst part was severe throat pain that required me to alternate between Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours just to be able to eat a meal or sleep at night. Not fun. A Medrol Dose pack finally broke that 3 week cycle but I continued to have throat pain on and off and also sinus issues.

The Lord is kind, however, and after a lot of back and forth with my husband about what we could do (as we are renting and under a landlord) we contacted our landlord a second time (after editing an email draft, and rewording, and editing some more) and he agreed to have mold inspections done and then ultimately, after inspection had mold remediation done in the attic and basement. I'm sure he dropped a pretty penny on having all of that done for us (I'm sure at least a few grand). I am so grateful to have a landlord that takes care of us. He really tries to make the house as nice as possible for us, which is quite different from the stereotypical landlord that just wants to fix things cheaply and not necessarily well. The Lord has been kind to take care of us in this way, as we had no idea what kind of landlord we would have when we signed the lease to rent this house back in Oklahoma, having never seen the house let alone met the landlord.

So the story has a happy ending. Tonight we will (hopefully permanently) move back into our master bedroom. Back in April we stopped sleeping in there consistently as it made my symptoms worse due to proximity to the mold affected areas. We have been sleeping mostly on an air mattress in our guest room. I have actually been sleeping great on this air mattress (thanks Mom for the awesome air mattress you gave us before we moved!). The mold remediation was completed last Thursday, and then starting yesterday I have been diffusing essential oils in our master bedroom that are highly effective at killing airborne mold spores. (This is my first time diffusing essential oils, it makes me feel kinda crunchy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment