Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Sovereign Protector I Have

This mellow melody gets me every time. This is definitely a hymn that leads me to want to choose faith over fear in my daily walk, as it focuses on God's powerful and present hand over my life. He will not forsake even one of His children, and will more than provide for my needs in any trial, circumstance, or season. This hymn also reminds me of the goal of the Christian faith - joy in God which will one day culminate in dwelling in His presence in heaven (If Thou art my Shield and my Sun, the night is no darkness to me and And fast as my moments roll on, they bring me but nearer to Thee). Hmm, I'm also noticing an unintentional Shepherd theme running throughout these hymns so far (here and here).

A Sovereign Protector I Have
Words: Augustus Toplady (1740-1778)
Music: Trewen, David Evans (1843-1914)

A Sov’reign Protector I have,
Unseen, yet forever at hand,
Unchangeably faithful to save,
Almighty to rule and command.
He smiles, and my comforts abound;
His grace as the dew shall descend;
And walls of salvation surround
The soul He delights to defend.
 
Inspirer and Hearer of prayer,
Thou Shepherd and Guardian of Thine,
My all to Thy covenant care
I sleeping and waking resign.
If Thou art my Shield and my Sun,
The night is no darkness to me;
And fast as my moments roll on,
They bring me but nearer to Thee.

Kind Author, and ground of my hope,
Thee, Thee, for my God I avow;
My glad Ebenezer set up,
And own Thou hast helped me till now.
I muse on the years that are past,
Wherein my defense Thou hast proved;
Nor wilt Thou relinquish at last
A sinner so signally loved!

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    Just wanted to say hi and that I have been thinking about you!

    It was so cute. My mom gave me a picture of Andy and Holly's wedding she printed off and Liyla kept saying "Abam", and Justice said, "Hey, we haven't seen them in a long time!".

    ReplyDelete