Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need

It's been awhile since I've posted about a hymn or song I've been listening to lately. Right now I have about five or six that we sing at our church that have really been encouraging me lately. I love the literal content in these hymns - the focus on the Gospel, on the glories of Christ, on God's provision - and I also love the generally traditional melodies. My husband is slightly cooler than me, because he listens to Christian rap, mostly Shai Linne. I used to listen to Christian rap when I worked out in college and now...well, I don't work out. There you have it. (Although I just bought Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and a Pilates DVD on Amazon so this may change.) I thought I might share what hymns have been circulating lately, in different posts.

This one is based on Psalm 23.  There is not much more that can be deeply comforting during the trials of life than knowing that "the sure provisions of my God attend me all my days", most profoundly displayed in the cross. Praise God for providing for my deepest need, forgiveness of sin, when Jesus suffered on the cross, and giving me the hope of eternal life with Him when He raised Jesus from the dead.

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need Isaac Watts (1674-1748)

My Shepherd will supply my need; Jehovah is His name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed, Beside the living stream.
He brings my wand'ring spirit back, When I forsake His ways;
And leads me, for His mercy's sake, In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk thro' the shades of death Thy presence is my stay;
One word of Thy supporting breath drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes, doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows, Thine oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God attend me all my days;
O may Thy house by my abode, and all my work by praise.
There would I find a settled rest, while others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment