Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Don't Buy Stuff - advice from another blogger

To all the women who read this blog, you understand. We have all felt the temptation to compare our lives with one another. I remember what this felt like in college living in a sorority house for 3 years...and now in this stage there are different challenges with being a mom and seeing how other families choose different paths - whether it be what area of town they live in, what kind of house they own/rent, what job they have, car they drive, clothes they wear, toys they give their kids, vacations they take, etc. But recently when I felt the pull of materialism beckoning me to make an idol of it, I was reminded of this Heavenly Homemaker blog post - "Don't Buy Stuff" (below). I love the part, "When you buy stuff, you have to pay for it with money. And then you have to find a place to put it...". So true.

Don’t Buy Stuff

"That’s it.  My title is my post.  Don’t buy stuff…that’s all I have to say.
 When asked what my favorite frugal tip is…Don’t Buy Stuff is the best thing I can come up with.
When you buy stuff, you have to pay for it with money.  And then you have to find a place to put it once you bring it home.  And it won’t stay where you put it because someone will get it out and not put it away.  And then it will get lost.  Or broken.  Or forgotten.
Buy food.  You need to eat.
Splurge on toilet paper.  It’s very useful.
Invest in soap…using soap is good.
But don’t buy stuff.
You’ll save a lot of money.
And…if you didn’t really need it in the first place, you won’t even miss it."

  
I'd be amiss if I also didn't mention a great song on this topic, Simple Living by Keith and Kristyn Getty. My favorite line is, "Not what you give, but what you keep, is what the King is counting." Here is a great verse:

Oh teach me Lord to walk this road, 
The road of simple living; 
To be content with what I own 
And generous in giving. 
And when I cling to what I have, 
Please wrest it quickly from my grasp. 
I’d rather lose all the things of earth 
To gain the things of heaven.

1 comment: