Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Before Five in a Row

Anyone ever heard of the reading curriculum for 4-8 year olds called Five in a Row? I had never heard those words uttered together until a few days ago, and then bam! Within 24 hours, I heard this same resource mentioned from two completely different people in completely different places. So I decided to Google.

I can't say too much because I've never touched a Five in a Row workbook. But, as far as I can tell online, the concept is to utilize wonderfully illustrated children's books that have stood the test of time (think Madeline or Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel), and use them to teach your child about reading and a bunch of other areas of study (incorporates math, science, geography, etc). The Five in a Row workbook has activities and lesson plans to go with each book (so it would be great for homeschooling).

AND THEN, I read that Five in a Row has produced a preschool activites and idea book called Before Five in a Row, appropriate for 2-4 year olds (think of titles like Blueberries for Sal, Corduroy, and The Snowy Day).

And my heart started beating faster. And I started drooling thinking of all the great books Bram and I could read together off the Before Five in a Row list and the fun and engaging activities we could do (if my husband is reading this - do you think you could get me the workbook for Christmas, pretty please?).

Reasons why BFIAR appeals to me:
  • I can check out most of the books from our local library (read: I don't necessarily have to buy any of these books, even though I already desperately want to own every single one!)
  • several women I trust have said super positive things about FIAR and the great memories they have reading with their children
  • I'm totally pumped to be hearing about what I can do now to help Bram develop great reading skills later
  • It will just take that quality reading time that we already have together to a little bit deeper level
  • It has the potential to ease us into the world of homeschooling that I'm hoping to do with Bram later on
  • It sounds very low-key, like Bram wouldn't even realize this was anything close to being called "school". It would just be fun and we could work it in to our day-to-day happenings
  • I already love wonderful children's books, but only have fuzzy memories of the ones I loved in childhood, so this list gives me a great jumping off point
  • If BFIAR flops, hey, we got to read a lot of great books together! 

I could blame this excitement on, "Well, you see, I used to be an educator. Of course I love thinking about doing school and preschool with my child." But I think this goes deeper for me, right into the heart of my own childhood. I was the kid in the house reading books at every chance I got. My parents did a great job at instilling a love of reading in me, and so I'm jumping at what looks like an awesome resource to hopefully do the same thing for my kid (and future kids).

Anyone else out there get excited to learn about great resources for children? I feel mildly crazy that I'm this excited and my child isn't even two years old yet (just a few weeks shy). So it would help me to know if there are any other "crazies" out there!

2 comments:

  1. I used FIAR with Anna and Justice last year and we all really enjoyed it.

    Too bad I didn't think of passing on my book to you before we left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of this, but thank you for the tip! I am already worried about Mason losing interest in reading when he gets older, so I want to do whatever I can to foster a love of reading throughout his childhood.

    ReplyDelete