Monday, July 15, 2013

Black Bean Salsa - lunch idea

We have been enjoying this Black Bean Salsa for lunches this summer. I thought it needed a little "zing" so I made sure to salt it well and recently I added a cilantro lime vinaigrette dressing and we all enjoyed the added flavor. We eat it with tortilla chips, I just make sure to break the chips up in small pieces for Bram (and help him load the chip with salsa) and he seems to like it. I also love serving this with diced avocado if we happen to have a ripe one around.

Black Bean Salsa
1 cup dried black beans (or I use 3 cans black beans)
5 tomatoes, diced
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 cup frozen corn, steamed and cooled (you can use canned corn for convenience)
¼ cup chopped cilantro
Soak beans in water overnight.  Drain and cover with fresh water in saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes.  Drain.
In large bowl, mix together beans, tomatoes, onion, corn and cilantro.  Stir together.  Store in refrigerator.  Serve with corn chips or baked tortilla chips.

Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
1/4 cup lime juice (I probably used more)
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
3/4 cup olive oil (I probably used less)

 Blend the lime juice, vinegar, and cilantro together in a blender until smooth. Add the brown sugar, garlic, and salt; blend again until smooth. Spoon the mustard into the mixture. Turn the blender on and slowly pour the olive oil into the dressing mixture in a thin stream; blend until thoroughly combined. (I think I ignored these directions and just threw it all in the food processor and it turned out great.)


No comments:

Post a Comment