Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Early To Rise & TGiving Update

Bram's been sleeping better than he ever has (meaning, not waking up much at night, usually once), but he's been consistently waking up at 6:30am. Is it just me that 6:30am seems a little early for your one-year-old to be up for the day? It's still dark outside! Bed time doesn't make a difference, either. If he goes to bed at 6:30pm or 9pm, he is still up stinkin' early. We had many chances to try out late bedtimes last week due to spending time with friends in the evenings over the holiday weekend. And trust me when I say that there was no "sleeping in" going on the mornings following! Gotta love early risers (which I'm thinking I may have one?).

The ironic thing is, that this is the most predictable Bram has ever been with sleeping since birth. Predictability is so nice because that means I can plan! I decided yesterday that if he is waking up about 6:30am, I should try and get up at 5:30am, which means I should go to bed around 9:30pm. Well, my hubby and I did our best and went to bed before 10pm. Abram decided to switch things up on us and he woke up at 5:45am and never went back to sleep. My personal "rule" (I use the term loosely, because my plans seem to be quite fluid) is that he should stay in his crib anyway, until about 7am. Poor kid has no idea what time it is, but oh well. Mama needs some time to read and clear the cobwebs, little one! So today I got breakfast going and then read for about 10 minutes while he stood in his crib and alternated between crying, fussing, yelling, and babbling.


It's not really a huge problem to deal with (early wake-up) compared to what we've dealt with in the past (seemingly unending night wakings). So I'm definitely thankful for the pretty generous amount of sleep I'm able to get right now. Just not sure how to best help my boy get better rest, he's so tired by around 8:30am because he's waking up so early.

On a different note, we had a great Thanksgiving holiday, albeit different than in the past in that we didn't see family. We spent time with new and old friends, and ate copious amounts of great food. Every recipe mentioned in my last post was FABULOUS. I'll post the make-ahead-mashed-potatoes recipe if anyone is interested since I didn't have a link to provide. My Favorite New Recipe was a tie between the slow-cooker stuffing and the apple pie. But I think the stuffing wins, since most often savory food is more typically my choice of indulgence.

A few notes on the stuffing if you're interested: I decided to go the long route and make the bread cubes from scratch, but it ended up being quite healthy as I made bread using whole wheat flour. (Side note: Husband gets the Best Hubby award. Both my hand held mixers went kaput about a month ago so HE kneaded my bread dough for 20-30 minutes by hand! My hero.) I cut a loaf and a half of bread into 1/2 inch cubes, and toasted them on cookie sheets at 200 degrees for 30-40 minutes. I cut the amount of butter in 1/2, and added extra bread cubes and veggies. I used chicken stock I had made awhile ago that was in my freezer. After making this once now, I see that I could definitely have baked the bread and toasted the cubes way in advance (for instance, sometime the week before) and cut down on the work to do the day before Thanksgiving. Another great thing about this recipe for stuffing is that it cooks in your slow cooker, so there's one less thing taking up room on your stove or in your oven.

Did you try any new recipes this Thanksgiving? Or have any tried-and-true ones to share? I love getting cooking ideas from others. Please leave a link and let me know how your recipes turned out! And if you have any suggestions for our lovable-but-early-bird please leave those, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment