Thursday, October 18, 2012

My Gems


Can you believe this cutie brought so much drama into my life last year? Here is a picture snapped of him this evening before a much needed bath. That hair was just a bit too greasy. This post is a reflection on some things God used last year to get me through my first year of motherhood.

Over the course of last year, whenever I came across a precious gem, I'd tuck it away in a safe place. No, I'm no antique dealer, I don't go to estate sales, and I know almost nothing about real jewels. These gems were internet treasures - blog posts written by the souls of men and women that encouraged me to press on in the trials of being a new mom and the mom of a crazy sleeper, crazy nurser, and overall colicky baby. Each time I discovered a new one, it was as if I saw a glimmer of hope, like light reflecting off a facet of a jewel in a dark room. In conversation, I typically refer to those first nine months of motherhood, specifically, as "that time when I was in a cave". I had difficulty orienting myself, a hard time seeing the big picture, and I felt trapped in my new role.

I printed each blog post out and kept them in a binder that for awhile, I leafed through every day just to renew my soul's perspective that was often too inward-bent.

I must mention one other thing. My "gems" also include five women who encouraged me regularly over the phone, through text messages, or in email conversations during this time. Praise the LORD for technology. These women faithfully kept up with me, prayed for me, and encouraged me over electronic means when we couldn't be in each others' presence. I still had a hard time going grocery shopping at this point, much less being able to pop on over to a friends house for a heart to heart. Some of these women didn't even live in the same town. God was so kind to care for me through these women during this time of difficulty. I praise Him that He cares for His people oftentimes through His people. Consider 2 Corinthians 1:3-4: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

All this to say, I don't want to keep these blog posts to myself, if in any way they may encourage you also. It is just so comforting to know you are not alone in a situation. I think that is one of the most powerful reasons why these women and blog posts meant so much to me. I was reminded that I wasn't alone. I wasn't a crazy person (or, maybe I was, but I had good company). Other people struggled, too! Other mothers had had similar struggles. Someone understood. Though I felt like I was in a cave in isolation, I was reminded each time I talked with one of these women or each time I read a blog post that I wasn't actually in a cave alone.

Without further ado, here are links to posts I found so encouraging for one reason or another. May they be a light to you when all other lights seem to go out (why yes, that was a LOTR reference). May they reflect Christ's beauty to you as a jewel only sparkles when it reflects dazzling light.

Cast Your Home Cares

The Question God Always Answers

Jesus Takes the Insanity Out of Parenting

The Littleness of Motherhood

To the Mother With Only One Child

Motherhood is Application

The Preeminence of Jesus is for Everyday Life

Praying Past Preferred Outcomes

The Long View

How To Be The Perfect Mother

The Open Eyes of Faith

How Eternity Can Influence a Mother's Daily Tasks

When School Starts

Don't Carpe Diem

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you wrote a blog, too!! So glad you found me, friend, and I look forward to keeping up with your blog. On another note, I've started collecting encouraging essays about parenting/motherhood--I've created a board on pinterest for them. I see a couple of familiar ones on your list, and I look forward to checking out the others.

    ReplyDelete