Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Good Friday

Resurrection Sunday is approaching, the anniversary of Jesus Christ's resurrection from the grave. Hallelujah! But Resurrection Sunday happened because Good Friday happened. Jesus, God made flesh, died at the hands of wicked men. Why is the anniversary of that day called "good"? This hymn has helped me to remember that Jesus not only suffered the pain of human death after he was crucified, but that he bore the actual punishment of God in my place on the cross, the punishment for my sins, and for the sins of all who would believe in him. Would you confess your sin to God, tell him your need for a great Rescuer, and then trust Jesus, who 2000 years ago suffered and died in your stead, that you might have everlasting life with him? I pray you would!

O Christ, What Burdens Bowed Thy Head

O Christ, what burdens bowed thy head! Our load was laid on Thee;
Thou stoodest in the sinner's stead, Didst bear all ill for me.
A victim led, Thy blood was shed! Now there's no load for me.

Death and the curse were in my cup: O Christ, 'twas full for Thee!
But Thou hast drained the last dark drop, 'Tis empty now for me.
That bitter cup, love drank it up, Now blessings draught for me.

Jehovah lifted up his rod: O Christ, it fell on Thee!
Thou wast sore stricken of Thy God; There's not one stroke for me.
Thy tears, Thy blood, beneath it flowed; Thy bruisings healeth me.

Jehovah bade his sword awake: O Christ, it woke 'gainst Thee!
Thy blood the flaming blade must slake, Thy heart its sheath must be.
All for my sake, my peace to make: Now sleeps that sword for me.

For me, Lord Jesus Thou hast died, And I have died in Thee:
Thou'rt ris'n, my hands are all untied, And now Thou livest in me;
When purified, made white, and tried, Thy glory then for me.

Anne Cousins (1824-1906)

No comments:

Post a Comment