Friday, January 25, 2013

Nativity Blocks - an investment for future years

I don't "Pinterest". I have an account but the site completely overwhelms me. That being said, I did in fact log on to Pinterest back in October and a friend had just posted a link to this nativity block idea. The craft was simple, almost simple enough not to need directions: unfinished blocks + paint + stickers + Mod Podge to seal = kid friendly nativity set. My hubby cut the blocks for me out of scrap wood in his dad's shop back in December, I bought the stickers from Hobby Lobby, I began painting this past Tuesday, and the rest is history. I just can't wait to watch Bram and any other kids we have play with these in future years!

Here is the original project link I saw last October.

I had been perusing Etsy for a nativity block set to buy and saw a few great ones, running for somewhere around $30 a pop. Also this Melissa and Doug wooden nativity made it on to my wish list, and it's on Amazon now for just $20.49. But would you believe how inexpensive this nativity block project was if I told you? It cost me a whopping $7! Here's the breakdown:

wooden blocks..................FREE (cut from scrap wood)
5 colors of acrylic paint....$5 (around $1/per)
Nativity stickers................$2 (if I had been thinking I could've used a 40% off coupon and got them for just $1.20)
Mod Podge........................FREE (already owned)
sandpaper...........................FREE (already owned)

Anyway, this was a fun and super easy project to complete, and I know it will last many, many years, giving my husband and I ample opportunities to discuss the Greatest Story Ever Told with Bram and our other kiddos. If you're interested, you've got about 11 months to go and make your own until next Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment