Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chilly Weather = Soup Weather

Sunday evening my husband and I put a chicken with some veggies on the stove to simmer all night. When we woke up, we had lots of tender chicken to use this week and about 16 cups of rich and good-for-you chicken stock. I used about half of our fresh stock and chicken to make Chicken Tortilla Soup. I used the HH's recipe and mashed it with Sally Fallon's Mexican Soup recipe in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. Basically I took the HH's recipe for soup (link above) and added 1 can tomato paste and 1/2 cup fresh lime juice. I also eliminated the chopped tomatoes in light of the addition of tomato paste. All that to say, I thought it was so yummy! The lime juice really gave it a 'zing' in my opinion. Instead of using homemade tortillas, this time I opted for Ezekiel 4:9 brand Sprouted Grain Tortillas. The combo was great. And - a plus - Bram ate it, too. We stretched the soup to feed the three of us through 2 dinners, and then Bram and I enjoyed the tail end of the leftovers for lunch today. Do you have any tried and true soup recipes you make for your family? 
 
 Here are a few snapshots of Bram the Ham at breakfast yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment