Monday, July 9, 2012

Yogurt Dough

This post definitely fits in the musings side of this blog. I just love this versatile dough so I thought I'd share it with you. It can be found in Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions and on The Heavenly Homemaker's blog.

The Best Part:
  • only 4 ingredients
  • it's easy to make
  • you make it the night before, so it's ready to go the next day with no prep
  • you can use whole wheat flour
  • soaking the dough breaks down the phytates in the flour making it more digestible
  • no yeast...can't mess up this dough!
Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups flour (I use white wheat flour...I like King Arthur brand)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 cup yogurt
Directions:
Cream butter and yogurt. Mix all other ingredient in until a nice dough has formed. Cover bowl and leave in a warm place for 12-24 hours.

I've used this for pizza, quiche, and empanadas although I know I've just tapped the surface of possibilities for this dough. My sister-in-law has stuffed the dough with fruit to make a breakfast or dessert. And I love the flavor of the dough. It has a 'bite' to it, I think because of the yogurt. So healthy and easy!

1 comment: