Thursday, July 12, 2012

Abode Aberrations

It just comes with the territory that moving in to a house that's been around for over 6 decades will have some eccentricities. Over the past 2 weeks, we've discovered quite a few quirks around here. Sometime I'll have to show you the normal parts of our home (it isn't all weird), but here's a glimpse of some things that have kept us scratching our heads around here.

In two of the three bedrooms we have windows that span a corner...however, the window is not centered on the corner. Also there are 2 separate curtain rods, one for each wall. Hence the unmatching curtains for the moment.



Turning to your right from the weird windows, we have this thing. We have absolutely no idea what this is. When you pull the chain, nothing happens. If you have any insight, please share it. We sleep next to this thing every night and we'd like to know if it's useful.



Closer shot. It's so nice that it is painted to match the rest of the room. Just lovely.



Let's make our way into the kitchen. There's my hubby doing dishes. Awww, how sweet. Notice the wonderfully unique tiled window welcoming you into the kitchen. You can't see through it, so you'll just guess at what's for dinner. That is, until you walk through the door way immediately to your right. I guess it's purpose is for looks only?




But before we actually enter the kitchen, notice the lovely view from dining room to cul-de-sac. The curtains are definitely dated, but that's not what this is about. See below.



Here's a close-up of the lace trim on that window. Now, who doesn't love a repeating cat motif on lace? Now, back to the kitchen.



Why yes, he's still doing dishes. I have caught myself a good man. Oh, but what's that in the middle of the kitchen? It's the laundry room, of course!



Here we are smack dab in the middle of the kitchen. You know what they say: location, location, location. It's weird, but it's handy!




Here's our lovely, old stove. Can you see what's piqued my curiosity here? Look closely.



It's an outlet! And yes, it's in working order. Strange, yes, but it's been a handy place to charge my cell phone. I'm certain that wasn't its original job description, but it works for me! As long as I'm not using the burners.


Just in case I can't charge my phone on top of the oven, I've got a whole bar of outlets behind the sink! I tell you, there are at least 5 outlets there, though only 3 made it into the picture.


Okay, well, let's go ahead and make our way down from the kitchen to the basement. Do you see anything funny?



Why yes, that is a pencil sharpener you see! Finally. All those times I've been walking to the basement and just needing somewhere to sharpen my pencil. Well, those days are over! But seriously, I haven't seen one of these puppies since 5th grade.



For our exercising pleasure, the owner has included a work out area in the basement. How kind.



Glass jars and lids nailed to the ceiling boards in the basement. What, your house doesn't have these in the basement?



And if you look in the upper part of this picture, you see 3 clothes lines that actually span the entire length of the basement. They can be used after you carry your load of laundry down from the kitchen, that is.


Well, we've come to the end of our tour. But don't bother locking the door behind you. You can't. No, really. The lock doesn't reach. But before you hatch any plans to come toilet paper the inside of our house in the dead of night - be warned - we've got a deadbolt.





1 comment:

  1. That is all too funny. I just love the cat curtains. Okay, the frying pan mounted to the wall is creepy. I would ask a local. Are the jars/lids in the basement ceiling for collecting moisture?

    ReplyDelete