Monday, August 19, 2013

God Moves in a Mysterious Way

This hymn has ministered to me innumerable times in the past few years since I became aware of it. I may have already posted about it before, it comes to mind so frequently. At my previous church, my associate pastor shared the lyrics alone (no melody) during the weekly Bible study when the church had been experiencing difficult times. All I remember Ryan saying was that William Cowper (author of the lyrics) struggled with depression for much of his adult life, and this hymn was birthed in the trials and pains of his Christian life. This gives even more meaning when I sing this song (much like when I learned that John Newton of the hymn Amazing Grace was a slave trader-turned-Christian pastor). Upon moving to Maryland and joining Capitol Hill Baptist Church in DC, I actually got to learn the melody and get to regularly sing it with the congregation. What a joy! Beautiful poetry with word pictures about trusting God in trials. Also interesting to note, John Piper wrote a book called The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the Lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd, the title of which is based on 4th verse of this hymn. I haven't read it, but I think it would be a great read.

God Moves in a Mysterious Way
Words: William Cowper (1774)
Music: Dundee, Scottish Psalter (1615)

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flower.

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read it in while, but that book is one of my favorites. My old copy was all marked up and it was always encouraging to look over the highlights.

    ReplyDelete